Concerts for Craswall is a small local charity, with a few simple objects:
- to advance, improve or develop younger people’s appreciation and education in music.
- to promote live chamber and choral concerts for exclusively charitable purposes.
- and to support the community of Craswall in maintaining and enhancing the culture and heritage of the parish.
We are currently seeking new trustees and enquiries from volunteers; capable and motivated people with experience in the following areas: finance/bookkeeping, administration, income generation, marketing, classical music and governance.
Our current Chair of Trustees has decided to stand down at our next Annual General Meeting in March 2020 and we require someone with experience of business or charity leadership to succeed him. We particularly welcome applications from candidates with relevant experience of chairing an organisation of similar size and scope. You will be an effective communicator able to engage with a wide variety of stakeholders.
We value diversity of perspective and lived experience and welcome applicants from all backgrounds and fields, and invite applications both from those who have an appreciation of classical music and those who do not.
The role is unpaid, but immensely rewarding in terms of the positive impact of our work on the local community here in south west Herefordshire.
Duties and The Person
The Chair of Trustees has a strategic role to play in representing the vision and purpose of Concerts for Craswall (CforC). He/she leads the Board in encouraging relations with potential patrons and funders/donors. The Chairperson ensures that the trustee board functions properly; that there is full participation at meetings; all relevant matters are discussed; and that effective decisions are made, recorded and carried out.
The main duties of the role are to:
- ensure the trustee board functions properly
- ensure the charity is managed effectively
- lead the charity’s fund raising activities
- provide support and supervision to trustees
- represent the charity.
The successful candidate will likely demonstrate all or many of the following qualities and skills:
- Good leadership skills.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills which includes Public Speaking.
- Experience of fund raising and grant funding for charities.
- Impartiality, fairness and the ability to respect confidences.
- An ability to ensure decisions are taken and followed-up.
- Good planning and reporting skills.
- An understanding of financial accounting and reporting procedures.
- Tact and diplomacy.
- Understanding of the roles/responsibilities of a trustee board.
- Experience of organisational and people management, including volunteers.
- Confident IT skills.
- A knowledge of and commitment to the work of Concerts for Craswall, and a willingness to commit the necessary time and energy to the role.
- An appreciation and enthusiasm for classical music.
- Knowledge of the operating environment for charities in England and Wales.
An average minimum commitment of one day a month, including attending three Board meetings.
Appointments are for three years, in the first instance.
How To Apply
If you are interested in applying, please send a covering letter outlining how you meet the criteria in the role description and why you are interested in the role as well as an up to date curriculum vitae via the form below.
Alternatively, to speak to someone informally about the opportunity, please call the current Chair Anthony Furness on 07773 889117 or the Concerts for Craswall Coordinator Julie Holmes on 01981 510112.
Closing Date: Friday 7th February 2020
Download Role Description