Dore Abbey, Abbeydore
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Tickets on sale January 2020
Haydn String Quartet in A Major, Op.20 No.6
Janáček String Quartet No. 1, "Kreutzer Sonata"
Beethoven String Quartet No.12 in E Flat Major, Op. 127
The Eusebius Quartet
Finalists of the 2018 Royal Overseas League Competition, The Eusebius Quartet are fast gaining a reputation for imaginative and communicative performances. The quartet enjoys exploring unusual repertoire. They have recently collaborated with two Concerts for Craswall favourites. Namely, pianist Alasdair Beatson and clarinettist Matt Hunt.
The members of the quartet have played together in different formations for many years. They share a passion for the extraordinary music written for this formation and enjoy experimenting with different styles of playing.
Concerts for Craswall are delighted to welcome these talented young musicians.
Want a sneek peek? Here they are playing Schumann String Quartet in F major, Op.41 No.2 during a short residency at Snape Maltings earlier this year.
Venue: Dore Abbey, Abbeydore
Venue Website: http://www.doreabbey.org.uk/
Address: Dore Abbey, Abbeydore, Herefordshire, HR2 0AA, United Kingdom
Description: A Brief History
The Abbey was founded in 1147 by French Cistercian Monks from Morimond. The construction of the present stone buildings in the ‘new’ Early English style started in 1175 and was consecrated in 1280.
Having avoided being razed by Owen Glendower in 1405, the Abbey was suppressed (dissolved) by Henry VIII in 1537 and the buildings sold to John Scudamore. All the monastic buildings, the nave and roof of the Abbey were dismantled and the stone sold by Scudamore. All that remained (i.e. the present Abbey) was left as a roofless ruin until c1630.
John Scudamore’s great-great-grandson (John Viscount Scudamore) had no male heir, all his sons having died at birth or soon after. Archbishop Laud suggested that his ancestor had perhaps overdone the commercial benefits of the dissolution and that he should “consider his conscience”. Restoring the ruins into a Parish Church was deemed an appropriate penance and the rebuilt church was re-consecrated in 1634.
The church was further restored. First around 1700 when the wall paintings were created. Latterly around 1900 when the church was ‘shrunk’ into what had been the presbytery. The Church you see today has been little altered since the 1900 rearrangement.
Today the Abbey enjoys regular Church services, has a fine organ and a peal of 6 bells. It is the venue for Concerts for Craswall's summer performances.